04 Jul MindThatEgo Podcast Episode #4: Eight Step Recovery
Episode #4: Eight Step Recovery with Valerie Mason-John
72 MINS | Published Oct 7, 2018
Ricky, of MindThatEgo Podcast, is joined by Valerie Mason-John. The structure of the discussion is based on her book, Eight Step Recovery: Using the Buddha’s Teachings to Overcome Addiction. Expanding on the Four Noble Truths, Valerie (and co-author Dr. Paramabandhu Groves) distill ancient wisdom to create a practical approach to tackle addiction. These steps are:
- Accepting human life will bring suffering.
- Seeing how we create extra suffering.
- Embracing impermanence to show us suffering can end.
- Being willing to step on the path of recovery and discover freedom.
- Transforming speech, actions, livelihood.
- Placing positive values at the centre of our lives.
- Making every effort to stay on the path of recovery.
- Helping others by sharing the benefits we have gained.
Listen as Valerie guides us through each step. Drugs, alcohol, food, sex, shopping, social media… None of us escape addiction, to varying degrees. Consequently, the wisdom contained within this eight-step process is beneficial to all of us — spiritual or non-spiritual. (Title music: Monday Morning Wakeup Call by Daniel Birch).